Moon Soccerround – Sat 20th February




FA Cup

Second half goals send Everton into the Quarter Finals


Everton are into the quarter finals of the FA Cup after seeing off Bournemouth in a tricky away tie. The home side had the opportunity to go ahead after they were awarded a penalty after a James McCarthy handball. Everton keeper Joel Robles made a fine save from Charlie Daniels to prevent the Toffeement going behind.

The Blues took full advantage of their fortune. Ross Barklay gave Everton the lead after his shot looped off Dan Gosling, a former Everton player, into the net. Gosling had a chance to equalise shortly after but put the effort wide. Romelu Lukaku sealed the tie slamming the ball in from close range after a Gareth Barry corner.

Everton deserved their win and after missing out on Wembley narrowly in the League Cup, are one more win away from making up for it in the FA Cup.


Derby come from behind to get back to winning ways


Derby County looked like they were heading for another defeat before a storming last 10 minutes saw them solidify their play-off place. Derby started fast and had chances through Jeff Hendrick and Darren Bent in the first 10 minutes but were kept at bay by Brentford keeper David Button.

The home side took the lead against the run of play in the second half, Alan Judge struck from 20 yards and perhaps this would be another of those days for Derby. Derby brought on Chris Martin who added a solid presence to the midfield and the Rams took more control of the game, eventually equalising through Jeff Hendrick on 80 minutes.

Within three minutes Derby were ahead through Cyrus Christie’s first ever senior goal. The win was completed fittingly by Chris Martin, who scored froma  tight angle completing a breakaway as Brentford tried to push men forward late on. Derby are fifth and have a 5 point gap on 7th placed Cardiff in the play-off race.

League 1

Ajose hat trick downs Blackpool


Former Manchester United trainee Nicky Ajose was in superb form sending Blackpool to defeat at Swindon. The seasiders started well with Tom Aldred heading in a David Norris corner. Ajose leveled on 17 minutes with a right foot strike and the sides went in even at the break.

Ajose got his second on the hour converting a cross from Bradley Barry. Barry was then responsible for giving away a penalty bringing down Clark Robertson allowing Danny Philliskirk to level it up at 2-2. It was to be Ajose’s day however, as Blackpool were hangin on to a valuable point, Ajose struck with just two minutes to go from 12 yards to complete his hat-trick.

Wins for Fleetwood and and Chesterfield bring Blackpool back into the relegation fight, just one point off the drop zone. Swindon are safe in mid table in 15th place.

League 2

Boden saves Newport a point at Exeter


Scott Boden earned Newport a deserved late point at Exeter. Newport should have been ahead in the first half with Conor Wilkinson hitting the woodwork twice. Against the run of play Exeter took the lead however with Jordan Tillson getting on the end of a Lee Holmes’ free kick to put the home side in front.

Boden, Medy Elito and Alex Rodman all had chances to equalise as Newport continued to dominate. They got their reward with 3 minutes to go as Elito’s cross was headed in by Boden for his 12th league goal of the season. Wilkinson had an injury time chance to win it but put his effort wide.

The draw means Newport are six points above the drop zone. Exeter are in mid table in 11th place well outside the play-off race.

Mansfield win to maintain play-off chase


Mansfield Town got their expected win over bottom side Daganham & Redbridge at Field Mill. Chris Beardsley and Malvind Benning had early chances before against the run of play, the Londoners took the lead. Joe Widdowson teed up Oliver Hawkins to give the visitors a suprise lead.

Mansfield hit back in the second half. Ryan Tafazolli’s free kick was turned in by Matty Blair to level. Cyrus Christie then put the Stags ahead with his first senior goal for the club.Krystian Pearce gave the visitors a way back in giving away a penalty and being sent off as a result, however Jamie Cureton missed the spot kick.

Within 60 seconds Blair set up Matt Green to seal the game making it 3-1. Cureton did get a late consolation but Mansfield take the points and remain in 4th place in the play-off mix. Dagenham & Redbridge stay rock bottom.

Notts go down to third straight home defeat


Notts County failed to build on their win at Hartlepool in mid week as their frustrating season continued with defeat against Leyton Orient. Jay Simpson has the best chance for the visitors with a header in an other wise poor first half with few chances.

Laim Noble has Notts only shot on target early in the second half. From then on it was all Orient. Sammy Moore and Joby McAnuff had chances and Mattheui Baudry had a header cleared off the line. The goal came as Notts failed to clear a corner and the ball fell to Sahun Brinsley to hook home the winning goal.

It is Notts third home defeat in a row and there were some angry scenes afterwards as fans confronted keeper Roy Carroll. Notts remain in 15th place and their season appears to be going nowhere. Orient are level on points with those in the play off spots and are only outside them on goal difference after this win.

National League

Caton double downs Southport


Lincoln helped their play-off push with a comfortable win over mid table Southport. James Caton tapped in the opener after keeper Sam Crocombe failed to hold a corner. Caton got a second after being put through by Jack Muldoon’s pass as he shot low to make it 2-0.

Southport got one back with Andy Bishop setting up Louis Almond to score from the edge of the area. Chris Bush and Matt Rhead could have sealed it for Lincoln before Terry Hawkridge put in Robbie McDaid to finally make it 3-1 and put the game beyond doubt.

Southport are in 16th place after the defeat. Still comfortably above the relegation zone. Lincoln are ninth, two points off the play off zone.

Chester comeback earns a point


Chester had to come back from two goals down to earn a point at Kidderminster. Arthur Gnahoua gave the home side the lead with a right foot shot on 22 minutes. Harry White made it two from the penalty spot after a handball from Ryan Lloyd. Ben Whitfield had a chance to make it three before the break well saved by keeper Tony Thompson.

Chester got a penalty of there own in the second half with Kelvin Longmead bringing down Ross Hannah who converted the penalty himself. The goal was Hannah’s 15th of the season. Chester completed the comeback with James Alabi breaking past a defender on the left hand side of the box and slotting home to make it 2-2.

Tyrone William had a great chance to win it for Harriers but Thompson made a great save. The draw moves Chester up to 15th place. Kidderminster are second from bottom still eight points away from safety.

Early strike the Wright stuff for Cheltenham in the rain


Tranmere Rovers play-off hopes were dealt a blow as they lost at home to top of the table Cheltenham. The visitors got the only goal of the game on just 3 minutes scoring from Asa Hall’s cross for his eighth goal in the last six games. Tranmere, who were looking for a double over the top side after winning the away game could not repeat the dose in teeming rain.

Rovers had the better of the second half but could not find the breakthrough. Michael Higdon and Lois Maynard both brough late saves from keeper Dillon Phillips. The win moves Cheltenham four points clear of Forest Green at the top. Tranmere remain 4th and in the play off places but having played at least one game more than those below them.

Scottish Championship

Miller wonder volley sees off battling Queens


Rangers restored their eight point lead at the top of the table after an open game in Dumfries. Rangers controlled most of the game with Nicky Clark almost profiting from a mistake by Queens keeper Jim Atkinson. James Tavernier also forced a fingertip save from Atkinson.

At the other end Queens had their chances, Derek Lyle forced a good block from Rangers keeper Wes Foderingham and Lewis Kidd rattled the Rangers crossbar from range. But it was Kenny Miller’s dipping volley over Atkinson the proved decisive just after the hour mark. Chris Higgins and Andy Dowie had chances to level as Queens pushed forward late on.

The Glasgow side held out to do home with the three points. Queens fall one point behind Raith Rovers in the race for the final play off place.




FA Cup 5th Round

Bournemouth (0) 0Everton (0) 2 (Barklay, Lukaku) – At Dean Court, Bournemouth


Brentford (0) 1 (Judge) – Derby County (0) 3 (Hendrick, Christie, Martin) – At Griffin Park, Brentford, Houslow

League 1

Swindon Town (1) 3 (Ajose 3) – Blackpool (1) 2 (Aldred, Philliskirk) – At Bloomfield Road, Blackpool

League 2

Exeter City (0) 1 (Tillson) – Newport County (0) 1 (Boden) – At ST James’ Park, Exeter

Mansfield Town (0) 3 (Blair, Yussuf, Green) – Dagenham & Redbridge (0) 2 (Hawkins, Cureton) – At Field Mill, Mansfield

Notts County (0) 0Leyton Orient (0) 1 (Brisley)  – At Meadow Lane, Nottingham

National League

Lincoln City (1) 3 (Caton 2, McDaid) – Southport (0) 1 (Almond) – At Sincil Bank, Lincoln

Kidderminster Harriers (2) 2 (Gnahoua, White) – Chester City (0) 2 (Hannah, Alabi) – At Aggborough, Kidderminster,

Tranmere Rovers (0) 0Cheltenham Town (1) 1 (Wright) – At Prenton Park, Birkenhead

Scottish Championship

Queen Of The South (0) 0Rangers (0) 1 (Miller)  – At Palmerstone Park, Dumfries

Star Man




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s